There are lots of books and resources which help explain the Mediterranean diet. But the core principles are easy.
· The essential foods to enjoy every day include fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans and whole grains.
· Olive oil is recommended as the main added fat, and is used to replace other oils, fats and butter or margarine. Other foods with healthy fats, including nuts, are encouraged
· Oily fish such salmon and sardines (high in omega-3 fatty acids), are important
· Eat fish at least twice weekly. Other animal proteins (meats) should be reduced as much as possible. Ideally red meat should be limited to approximately once per week, or even just a few times per month.
· There are two main beverages, wine and water. Drink water during the day. With dinner, women should have one glass of wine and men can have two glasses.